Friday, August 8, 2014

Still Painting at Seal Rock(s)

C1534
“Receding Tide at Seal Rock”
(Oregon Coast)
Oil Sketch on Telati Pintura Linen Panel
5” x 7”


A week later I was still painting at Seal Rock, weathering a storm on the 1st of December, when I got another two small sketches completed from the driver’s seat of my SUV.  On this last sketch I again chose a view similar to the previous post, but it’s earlier in the day and the tide is receding, allowing for reflections on the expanse of wet sand; always interesting to paint.  There was an obliging flock of gulls pottering about on the wet sand doing gull things, and just generally reflecting … philosophical reflections, no doubt (sorry) … so I just dabbed them in with my brush.  I enjoyed the previous 5 weeks painting on the coast, especially since I only was going to spend a few days painting down there, after the exhibition opening in Bandon. 

There was no imprimatura this time, and I went straight into drawing with a brush on the white linen panel with the usual suspects: Yellow Ochre, Venetian Red, Cobalt Blue, and Titanium White, all from W&N.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comments. If you have read "the Journey" Tab you will know that my time online is usually limited; I trust you will understand that I may not be able to reply to comments or specific questions, but that perhaps they might be addressed in future posts.