Thursday, August 14, 2014

Lost Lake Idyll

C1550
“Afternoon on Lost Lake”
(Lost Lake ACEC, Oregon Coast)
Oil Sketch on Centurion Oil Primed Linen Panel
with an additional Priming Coat of Rublev Lead White in Oil
5” x 7”


Last post I was telling you about discovering the New River ACEC (Area of Critical Environmental Concern), and Muddy Lake in particular.  I thought Muddy Lake could not be improved upon, but I was wrong; Lost Lake ACEC is idyllic in a wilderness, not a pastoral, sort of way.  Being from Minnesota, Lost Lake is really more of a long narrow pond to me, but that gives it a more secluded personal feel.  There are three points along its length where the water’s edge may be accessed, and the third of these is the best.  I spent four days painting here. 

I viewed the different directions from the small area of shore and decided on this view to the north; the Ocean would be to the left several hundred yards away, out of the trees and over some sand dunes.  I set up my painting gear and proceeded to lay down a Venetian Red imprimatura, and then a block-in of the major shapes of the composition with Ultramarine Blue mixed with a touch of Venetian Red.  Over this I applied a colour layer on the simple shapes of the block-in, so that there was now a simply modeled colour composition, with little detail.  The next afternoon I refined and corrected these shapes, and added details, bringing the painting to a satisfactory conclusion.  I use the term detail advisedly since there is no detail compared to many of my Watercolours, and being ware that for many Plein Aire painters, it will be too detailed; it is the direction I am striving for, as you will be aware having read “The Journey” tab.  The rest of the colours used were Cerulean, Cobalt & Ultramarine Blues, Yellow Ochre, Venetian Red, and Cremnitz White, with a very little Cadmium Yellow & Cadmium Yellow Pale for the brighter greens.

The whole time I was working there were about a half a dozen Cedar Waxwings flitting from tree trunk to tree trunk, catching insects, sometimes almost hovering like hummingbirds in their attempts to capture them; I was unaware of this habit since those that I had seen in Oklahoma over the Winter before last, mainly fed on berries, it seemed.  A pair of Kingfishers also did their Kingfisher things, and a noisy Wren scolded me on occasion; the odd Turkey Vulture rode the wind overhead, reminding me that the coastal “breezes” were still there, and why I was here.  Other wildlife including Dragonflies and Damselflies went about their business.  I am always amazed at what appears when you are quietly painting away in the woods; it felt like Eden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comments. If you have read "the Journey" Tab you will know that my time online is usually limited; I trust you will understand that I may not be able to reply to comments or specific questions, but that perhaps they might be addressed in future posts.