Sunday, August 6, 2017

On Dinosaur Ridge


(Take Note: for those of you who have signed up to be notified by email of new postings to this blog, you have been receiving not just a notification, but an actual copy of the new blog posting as the email.  As this does not show the images of the paintings in the best possible light, you should click on the title of the latest blog posting at the top of the post, and not the title of the painting itself; this will open up the actual blog itself, and you may then enjoy the paintings at their best.)


C1630
“Tracks on Dinosaur Ridge”
Oil on Pannelli Telati fine cotton Panel

9" x 12"


July 4-26, 2017; at Martin’s abode & Dinosaur Ridge.

On 4th July Martin & I worked on the parts a Jungle Jim, for when his grandchildren visit, that needed two people to accomplish.  What is left, Martin will be able to do single-handed and take his time about deciding how he wants to adapt the rest of the construction.  They should enjoy it in the future.  Then on the 6th, Martin was off to England for over a couple of weeks, and I was left in charge of the house.  During my stay, I shot down to Salida, to visit old friends Dan & Lee, and again after Martin returned from the UK, and I will attend to my sojourn there in the next posting.  On the way to Salida I popped in at Dinosaur Ridge, and upon my return to Martin’s a few days later, worked on the painting shown above.  The following photos are of my Golden sojourn; the views, although not all taken on the same day, are a pretty good sequence of weather during most days I was in residence.


The view from Martin’s deck;
the mornings were generally good weather …

… then the clouds would begin to build
off to the south and west ...

… threats of rain would build,
which sometimes came and sometimes not,
but whether it did or not, there was always thunder
… and a lot of it …

… and, there were rainbows …

… as the storms passed on into the east
over Greater Denver …

… and by evening the clearing was well underway …

… and led to fine sunsets day after day.












On Dinosaur Ridge

I began up the old road and stopped at each spot on the open hillside; the sequence was as follows:


Claw-marks of the lurking Crocs …
 … with a more distant shot.



Ripple marks at Crocodile Creek.


General view of the plant impressions …

… and a closer view.


General view of the Slimy Beach …

… and a closer view.

And …

… now …

… for the …

… Dinosaur Tracks!

A general view of Dinosaur tracks & trails.

Herbivore ...

... and Carnivore.







These were just beyond the Dinosaur Tracks & Trails.


There is much more to see here at Dinosaur Ridge, but I called a halt here, as I had miles to go, and it was getting late.



Incidentally, my friend Martin Lockley, BSc, PhD, is one of the foremost Dinosaur Tracks experts in the World, if not the known Universe (steady on, boy)!   Check out the availability of his publications on Amazon.  Many thanks Martin, for your generous hospitality!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comments. If you have read "the Journey" Tab you will know that my time online is usually limited; I trust you will understand that I may not be able to reply to comments or specific questions, but that perhaps they might be addressed in future posts.