Monday, August 7, 2017

Salida & Forays Therefrom

(Take Note: for those of you who have signed up to be notified by email of new postings to this blog, you have been receiving not just a notification, but an actual copy of the new blog posting as the email.  As this does not show the images of the paintings in the best possible light, you should click on the title of the latest blog posting at the top of the post, and not the title of the painting itself; this will open up the actual blog itself, and you may then enjoy the paintings at their best.)

July 9-August 7, 2017; In Salida.

As I have said, I visited Salida during my time above Golden, and on July 26th I returned to resume my visit with Dan & Lee.  I fully intended to stop along the way and take photos, but the weather was inclement (exciting though!), and I was running late.  I was shown an extremely good time, and although I spent a certain amount of time doing paperwork (does it ever cease?), several forays were undertaken in Salida, and further afield.  The photographs will tell the story.


Frantz Lake on the outskirts of Salida.

A Cormorant on the lake …

… probably a Double-crested.

Another view of Frantz Lake
with the beginnings of the Collegiate Range beyond.

Another lake a short distance from Frantz Lake
and next to the Arkansas River,
with Salida Hill beyond
the cone shaped hill in the center).

This lake … 

… has trout.




Another day …
… a hike …

… was taken  …
… into Browns Canyon …

… to the North …

… of Salida;

… the Arkansas River …

… flows through it;

… and there are …


… wildflowers …

… here too;


… these red ones are some sort of Penstemon.
These two Bambis really wanted to come
and have supper in Dan & Lee’s yard.

“Awww … Please?
 (incidentally, Salida is riddled with deer).

Mt. Princeton, with the “Chalk Cliffs”
displayed at the base;
these are not actual chalk,
but I believe a form of shale.

A storm near Buena Vista, 22 miles north of Salida.

The Castles on forest road 307,
off of US285, east of Buena Vista.

Twin Lakes …

… north of Buena Vista …

… on the way to Leadville.

The next post completes my picture-log of my Salida sojourn.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comments. If you have read "the Journey" Tab you will know that my time online is usually limited; I trust you will understand that I may not be able to reply to comments or specific questions, but that perhaps they might be addressed in future posts.