Sunday, July 20, 2014

Aspens along the Forest Road

C1492
“Aspens along the Forest Road”
(San Juan Mountains, Colorado Rockies)
Oil Sketch on Ampersand Gesso Panel
4” x 6”

SOLD

The next day on the Sunday, October 6th, 2013, I drove up to altitude to the Powderhorn Lakes Trailhead.  On the way back down I explored a couple of side roads and in the afternoon decided to have a go at the Aspens with paint.  The Aspens seem to be a bit yellower than the more orange Cottonwoods, and there were more brushes of an almost Spring-green on most of the trees.  This contrasted nicely with the grey-green of the sagebrush in the foreground, as well as the pines, mostly in shadow behind them.  A slightly warmer night last night, and warming up easily in the Sunlight, even though the temperatures would have felt chill in the dampness of say Cornwall in England, where I lived for many years, or west of the Cascade Range in Oregon, where I’ve resided for the past ten years.  It is so nice to experience a dry cold again like in my youth. 

Pigments used were: Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Yellow & Cadmium Yellow Pale, Venetian Red, Burnt Sienna, Cobalt Blue, a bit of Cerulean, a little Sap Green (Permanent), Cremnitz and Titanium Whites; all from Winsor & Newton except for the Sap Green which I believe was either M. Graham or Gamblin (sorry, but my colour box is out in my truck).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comments. If you have read "the Journey" Tab you will know that my time online is usually limited; I trust you will understand that I may not be able to reply to comments or specific questions, but that perhaps they might be addressed in future posts.